Tuesday, June 25, 2019

#TirgearrTuesday #amwriting #romanticsuspense Visit for writers' tips to keep readers turning pages. Yes, it's much fun.

For those of you like me who write and read romantic suspense, I'd like to share how I do it. Each book in my Donahue Cousins series is stand-alone but follows Irish American heroes.  My third book, Bittersweet Alliance, is a new release.

To keep the suspense and tension building in my stories I start with a list of ten situations that get in the way of my main characters’ goals.  One method for increasing the pace of either the suspense or the romance is to select conflicts and make them worse.  Danger is always approaching, and a villain has concrete goals. When nearing the end, I compact frightening scenes. This creates a sense of urgency. The reader senses this because I’ve picked up the pace.
In a romantic suspense the hero and heroine attempt to solve the mystery while time is running out. They’re attracted to each other and worry about each other’s safety. I want my reader to worry, too. A red herring or other complication keeps the reader guessing until the very end. Surprise endings evolve from the hero or the heroine’s success against the villain.  What about the romance? Hints along the way point to the possibility of falling and staying in love.  How they work things out comes with huge effort.  Throwing hurts in the way keeps the reader engaged. Bittersweet Alliance is a reunion story between a woman who steps back when she learns the hero is named in a paternity lawsuit.  Although she’s in love, she does the right thing by stepping back to allow him to work things out with the mother and baby who is Down Syndrome.  The hero and father who not only loves his daughter but is proud of her. He puts her first. I enjoy writing strong, good people in messy situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BookQW word is DRINK-- excerpt from Unholy Alliance, a #Tirgearr Publishing #RomanticSuspense --

Book quote Wednesday's word is drink.   Here's how we play it-- find the word in an excerpt.  Below in Unholy Alliance , the...