Thursday, June 20, 2019

#Tirgearr Publishing spotlight on Warwick's Mermaid and an interview with #ContemporaryRomance author #Interview @elliegray71

Today I'm honored to spotlight Ellie Gray, a Contemporary Romance Author published by Tirgearr Publishing.  First, I'd like to share about one of her books, 
Warwick's Mermaid. 
Here is the blurb:  
     Having escaped an abusive relationship, Chloe MacGregor is determined to put the past behind her. The little cottage high up on the cliffs overlooking the beautiful North Yorkshire town of Whitby is her safe haven, somewhere she is free to be herself.
     When the arrival of her new neighbour and boss, Luke Warwick, threatens her peaceful, sheltered life, Chloe is forced to confront her past and to re-evaluate who she really is. Falling in love with Luke is not part of her plan but, to her surprise, Luke is falling for her too. The only thing preventing their happy ever after is Chloe herself. Will she ever truly learn to leave the past where it belongs?





Interview with Ellie Gray
I had a great time getting to know more about this amazing writer. I guarantee you'll enjoy her answers to questions. 

1.      Do you ever cry when reading a book? And, do you ever cry when reading your own books?
     Yes, I’m really empathetic so I find I am emotionally affected by reading, and by watching television and films and often end up in tears. And yes, I do cry when reading my own books, even though I know what’s going to happen!
2.      As a reader, do you ever get reader’s block?
     Yes, sometimes I find it difficult to get into a book, even if it is by a favourite author. However, I usually persevere and can quite quickly get back into the book and then I have difficulty putting it down….
3.      Would you ever consider writing under a pseudonym?
     Yes. I write under my own name for my contemporary romance novels, but am also working on a young adult fantasy novel. If I ever publish that book, I aim to publish it under a pseudonym simply because it is in such a different genre.
4.      What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?
     I belong to the Beverley Chapter, which is a local RNA group of writers, both published and unpublished, and we meet once a month. It is lovely to be able to meet up with people who know the ups and downs of being a writer and it is incredibly helpful just to bounce ideas off each other. One of my closest friends is also a writer and we act as critique partners when working on a new book. I know I can count on her to help me with those sentences that just don’t seem to read they way I want them to, and vice versa.
5.      As a writer, what would you choose as your mascot/avatar/spirit animal?
     A cat. I’m a cat person 😊
6.      How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?
     Ooh, quite a few. I would say approximately 10 novels, and a mix of contemporary romance, romantic suspense and young adult. I’ve also got a fair few swirling around my head begging me to write them. So many novels, so little time….
7.      What did you edit out of this book?
     I had quite a detailed scene where Chloe fell ill at work with a severe migraine and Luke left work to look after her. I edited it out in the end because I felt Chloe had already had quite a tough time and she didn’t need any more!
8.      How do you select the names of your characters?
     Sometimes it’s really easy to name my characters, they come to me with a name already, but sometimes it’s hard and I find myself searching through lists of names. I also struggle with secondary characters and often find myself using the same name – I recently noticed I tend to use ‘Lucy’ quite a lot. One of my author colleagues keeps a spreadsheet of character names she has used in her books, both major and minor characters. I think that’s a good idea!
9.      Do you read your book reviews? How do you deal with bad or good ones?
     Yes, I do – usually through half closed eyes and holding my breath. It’s lovely when you read a review and the reader has really ‘got’ your characters. I take it quite personally when I read a less positive review, even though I know everyone has different tastes and not everyone can like your work.
 Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?

     I haven’t so far, but that’s a good idea…….



Ellie Gray, Contemporary Romance Author

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

#BookQW word is DRINK-- excerpt from Unholy Alliance, a #Tirgearr Publishing #RomanticSuspense --

Book quote Wednesday's word is drink.   Here's how we play it-- find the word in an excerpt.  Below in Unholy Alliance , the...