Thursday, November 30, 2017
#amwriting #authortips #romance the want list for publishers and their readers
For the past few months I have been contacting editors and agents for a contest of emerging authors. You guessed it. I volunteered to chair a contest, and this is a helping contest with worthwhile critiques. Aside from that, would you like to know what qualities and tropes agents and editors are looking for right now? I'm sharing this insider information which I've compiled from the many agent and editor websites I've visited:
· Strong conflicts where the characters’ goals are in opposition to one another
· Physical action-oriented heroines (martial artists, MMA fighters, etc.)
· Enemies-to-friends-to-lovers romances
· Adventure quest style romances (think Indiana Jones or Ready Player One but with more kissing!)
· 1930s-style fast patter bantering
· Diverse romances that showcase heritage, ethnicity and cultural practices
· Romances that also feature very strong friendships/BFF characters
· Gender role reversals or defiance of gender role stereotypes ( i.e. biker heroine, preschool teacher hero)
· Post-apocalyptic romances grounded in realism (think Battlestar Galactica)
· Couples who aren’t interested in a nuclear family-style existence
Here are qualities and tropes that editors and agents are presently not looking for:
· First-person POV (usually better suited for New Adult, chick lit or women’s fiction than romance)
· One or more “evil exes” as the main source of conflict to a romance — the conflict should be interpersonal between your leads.
· Telling rather than showing and long exposition/information dumps
· Characters without any goals besides finding love
· Alpha heroes that are insulting and condescending to their heroines
· Couples that fall into insta-love when they meet and never truly face any conflict
· Relationships where the characters’ only bar to getting together is fear from past bad relationships (Everyone has insecurity and angst, but the only way a character can resolve these things is through internal epiphany. That isn’t enough to hang a story on.)
#BookQW word is SURPRISE. Would you be interested in reading an excerpt from Unholy Alliance using this word? #Tirgearr #RomanticSuspense
Do you enjoy excerpts on Book Quote Wednesday? This event centers on finding the word, and in this case, SURPRISE, from one of our books or ...
Author Pamela Thibodeaux shares Five Facts about the Tempered series set in Bandera, TX Bandera, Texas is known as the “Cowboy Capital ...
Today I have the pleasure of welcoming talented author, Valerie Ullmer, to my blog. My spotlight is on her book, Jade. Jade (A...
#OCCRWA #contests #romance by getting your manuscript in front of top of the line agents and editorsWhat are the benefits of entering a writing contest? Have you not made a thousand dollars on a single book? Why not submit your new manuscr...